About this journal
The Palimpsest (ISSN: 0031-0360 (Print) ISSN: (2638-4086) (Online), ISSN-L 0031-0360) was a historical magazine published the State Historical Society of Iowa from 1920 to 1996. It was continued by Iowa Heritage Illustrated. Back issues are available.
The four titles published by the State Historical Society are:
The Palimpsest was published monthly from 1920-1972, bimonthly from 1973-1985, and quarterly after 1986.
- John C Parish, 1920–August 1922
- John Ely Briggs, September 1922–1945
- Ruth A Gallaher, 1946–September 1948
- William John Petersen, October 1948–September 1972
- Peter T. Harstad and L. Edward Purcell, October 1972–January/February 1975
- L. Edward Purcell, March/April 1975–1977
- Charles Phillips, 1978–1979
- William Silag, 1980–1982
- Mary K. Fredericksen, 1983–1986
- Ginalie Swaim, 1987–1995
Complete metadata for all articles in The Palimpsest, including DOIs, is available via OAI. See our policy regarding use and reuse of our metadata.
Download counts are displayed for each article. COUNTER usage statistics are not available.
The Palimpsest is preserved in the Hathi Trust and Portico.
Prior to September 2021, this title was hosted in Digital Commons software. That site is available in the Internet Archive.
The Palimpsest is hosted by the University of Iowa Libraries.