Poroi Style Guide
I. Formatting Requirements
- Abstracts (150-200 words) are preferred but not required.
- Authors may supply up to 6-8 keywords.
- Copyedit your manuscript in accord with these guidelines.
- There should be no pages on which more than a quarter of the page is empty space.
- When you introduce a name into the body of your text use first and last name in our first mention, but only last name thereafter.
- Sentences are to have one space after punctuation.
- Greek, Latin, French, German, and other foreign words are in italics. Ex: Ethos, per se, Zeitgeist, a propos.
Note: Quoted passages in foreign languages are to be in Rom. if they are over one line in length.
II. Structure of Text
- Submissions are in general are to be left aligned throughout.
- Within reason, use more subheadings than not. Within reason, give the subheadings interesting titles. Subheadings should be bolded in all capital letters and should be left justified.
- Within reason, charts, photographs, drawings, and graphs are welcome. Insert them into text exactly where you want them to appear in print.
Exception: Indent the first line of each new paragraph. BUT: Left align the first line after any heading or subheading.
III. Citational Rules:
- Please use APA citational rules. The editors encourage using an official APA Style Guide or the Purdue OWL.
- Citations must include the author’s last name, publication date, and page numbers.
- Position footnotes at end of the page, not as endnotes.
- Indent the first line of a footnote. Left justify following lines.
IV. Reference List
Ex: Gagarin, M. and P. Woodruff (Trans. and Eds). Early Greek Political Thought from Homer to the Sophists. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1995.
Copyediting and Page Proofs
- The publisher reserves the right to copyedit manuscripts to conform to the journal style. The lead author will receive page proofs for correction of typographical errors only. No rewriting of the original manuscript as submitted is allowed in the proof stage. Authors must return proofs to the editors within 48 hours of receipt or approval will be assumed.